Thursday, March 4, 2010

March 4, 2010


A pretty uneventful day all told. There are rumors flying about who is teaching third grade next year, but that happens every year. Next year, though, there are only two third grade classes and that WILL make a difference. the budget is going to be cut by so much that it will affect many teachers in the districts...wonder if it would affect administrators as well..No one seems to answer that question. The one thing, though, is that I hope it doesn't do anything that will affect the kids. No cutting of the arts, after school programs, and, while w could probably get by with less supplies, it's the students who should come first. As for professional development that could also be done in an less expensive way. I have a feeling if the administrators asked the staff for ideas, they'd be pleasantly surprised and could learn quite a few things from our POV.
In the meantime, life goes on in and out of the classroom. The kids are learning, doing math, and, as the picture shows, reading. I'm always amused at how many people tell me that it's tough to get boys to read. Not in my class. They are the first to ask for SSR, for me to read to them, and to pull a book out of their desk when they think I'm not looking. An e-mail from a parent yesterday told me her son was reading until 1:00am!!! Not the best thing for a nine-year-old, but not the worst thing in the world either. One of my favorite quotes is "Reading is inhaling....writing is exhaling." I'm so glad my students love to breathe.

No comments:

Post a Comment