Friday, February 19, 2010

February 19, 2010




I knew it as soon as the words were out of my mouth. "Kids, bring your notebooks over to the rug so we can start reading." I looked up to see nine students bringing their laptops to the reading area. No this is not what I meant, I meant...as they always remind me...to say binders...but these kids were doing research and just figured I wanted to see what they had already added to their notebookzoho.com sites. I laughed to myself thinking I wish my principal could see this. She's always saying the kids are too young to do these things (they are in third grade). Little does she know one of my students was bored last night so he made a power point presentation of the biography he was writing for Black History month. Another sent his script to me through the school e-mails.
"If you save it to the S drive, Miss Kasse, I can then copy and save it to my H drive." Nine years old. NINE! They have talks about technology all the time. They e-mail, they word process, they audio record, they ARE the "T" generation (technology) Even though they are still learning their times tables, learning to write in cursive (because their teacher is a dinosaur and proud of it), these kids are not only digital natives, they are the digital babies born of this generation. And I am proud to be their teacher guiding them along the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment