Tuesday, February 2, 2010

February 2, 2010


Each day, we say pledges. One of them is from Kirby Puckett's Be the Best You Can Be....and one of those thirteen is try new things. Well, today in geometry I wanted to show kids how to use shapes to draw. Now, I am not an artist by any stretch of the imagination. I watch ArtSnack and try, but it's just not my thing. Still, I wanted the students to see that shapes, triangles, circles, rectangles, and others are not things to be afraid of or boring, so I took out the drawing book and together we drew this dog. Yes, it IS a dog, not a cow (stop laughing). The kids know that when I draw, that's the one of the times they can laugh at me (okay, you can laugh) but it also shows me taking a risk at something I'm not good at. By doing so, I hope they will take a risk in their lives whether it be math or something more serious. So, go and try something new. You may not be the best, you may not even be second best, but at least you tried and laughed and shared...and what's better than that?

No comments:

Post a Comment